Whales And Icebergs
On this journey we discover the amazing attractions which made Ilulissat and Disko Bay famous. First we take you on a guided walk through Ilulissat, where you will get an understanding about the town's culture and history.
Next day we will visit the UNESCO world heritage site of the remarkable Ilulissat Icefjord, enjoying breathtaking views over the Sermeq Kujalleq, one of the fastest and most active glaciers in the world. The magnificent Sermeq Kujaleq (Ilulissat Glacier), which connects to the bay through the 60km long Kangia Fjord, is one of the world's fastest moving glaciers, constantly producing enormous icebergs, which float along the fjord to be dispersed in the bay.
But that is not everything! Our experienced captain will take us on a 6!!! boat trips per 4 hours into Disko Bay, getting our group as close as safe to the fascinating and gigantic icebergs. We will explore the bay every day, shooting icebergs, mountains and whales. Distances are huge in Disko Bay, and the speedboat will give us an overwhelming advantage and maximize photographic potential.
You can also read our report What can't be photographed in Greenland... Enjoy!
Mostly Beginner. The hike to Ice fiord is about 30min and it is quite comfortable by the well marked prepared trail.
Each day we will also have a trail 1000m (one way) to the port.
Weather conditions may be very unstable. West Greenland is famous for its ever-changing weather. So please prepare for the worst conditions possible as temperature drop to -5-0+5 in the night. Rain is possible, so good shoes, waterproof pants and jacket are essential. Down jacket, gloves, hat and rain coat are essential as well.
Important In order to save your time we recommend to arrange one flight to and from Copenhagen (CPH) to Ilulissat (JAV). Your will arrive to Ilulissat (JAV) at 12:40 PM.
Back flight Ilulissat (JAV)-Copenhagen (CPH)
Day 1. We meet in Ilulissat (JAV) airport at 12:40. Look at the schedule of flights from Copenhagen (CPH). Transfer by taxi to our hotel, checking in. Time to rest after the flight. Walk around the city. Meeting at our dinner is a good reason to discuss what awaits us ahead. (//)
Day 2. Hiking trip (2,3km) to Ice fiord. Rest after the lunch. Evening (4 hours) boat tour to Disco Bay for icebergs and whales watching. (B//)
Day 3. Late breakfast. 5 hours day time boat trip to Rodebay or to Ilimanaq. You can see the real life of Inuit village surrounded by rocks and icebergs. Evening boat trip. Catching Aurora at the shore after the boat trip if the weather will help us. (B//)
Day 4 Day workshop on post-production in Photoshop and Lightroom editors. Lunch. Evening (4 hours) boat tour to Disco Bay for icebergs and whales watching. (B//)
Day 5. Image review after the breakfast. Evening (4 hours) boat tour to Disco Bay for icebergs and whales watching. (B//)
Day 6. Spare day for a weather. We will spend it on the boat for morning or evening shooting. (B//)
Day 7. Morning transfer to the airport. Departure for home. (B//)
Workshop Price Includes
- Pick up and drop off at Ilulissat (JAV) airport. Pickup at specified time, drop off may vary according to group flight times;
- Professional photography guidance by an award-winning landscape photographer with vast experience in Greenland;
- Accommodation for 5 nights in 3 bedroom apartments with sharing bathroom, equipped kitchen and big dinning room (single supplement fee is applicable);
- Meal according to the program.
- Arctic safety/security equipment on the boat. 6x4 hours boat trips for Iceberg shooting and whale watching including boat trip to Ilimanaq.
- Breakfasts (day 2-7)
Workshop Price Does Not Include
- International airfare to/from Ilulissat (JAV)
- Airport pickup and dropoff outside of agreed-upon times
- Visa fee (if applicable)
- Personal expenses such as drinks, tickets, phone calls, etc;
- Travel Insurance;
- Single room supplement (€660 EUR);
- Dinners, lunches (lunch, dinner is about 10 euro in local cafe)
- Alcoholic drinks
Price € 3800 EUR
Group limit 10 guests maximum
Your deposit of €2000 EUR will hold your place in this workshop. Further Final payment of €1800 EUR is due by 2nd June, 2020. In case of impossibility of your participation in this tour, we will refund all payments minus the fee for the transfer of money if there is a replacement for your spot.
What to bring
Gear: DSLR camera. A wide angle lens. For example, Nikkor 14-24 or Canon 16-35. A middle-zoom lens such as 24-70mm . Telephoto zoom lens 70-200/100-400 are also required for whales.
Wear: Waterproof and windproof jacket (consider the average temperatures -5-0+5C),
Waterproof pants .
Professional photographer, guide. In addition to photography and travel, Vladimir conducts professional workshops on post-processing in Photoshop and Lightroom editors, panoramic photography, night landscape photography.
Spending a lot of time travelling, he still manages to take part in some contests.
Here are a few of his latest achievements and awards:
- First place, the National Geographic 2017 Contest in "night landscape" section
- First place, the National Geographic 2017 Contest "Planet Summer"
- First place, 35PhotoAwards International Contest in "day landscape" section
- Bronze Medal, PSA Arctic Awards 2016
- Silver Award, Epson International Pano Awards, 2017
- Golden medal, TRIERENBERG SUPER CIRCUIT 2019
SIGN ME UP